Sunday, July 24, 2016

Chris Still Enjoys Working Because Of Him! PTL!

Before I start to immerse myself into work, I shall take a moment to praise Him for the blessings He has showered upon me in my career.

“Chrisenjoysworking” was a blog name I came up with before knowing the Lord. And it seems that since before I recognised Him, He was already in my life. I am still enjoying working and it’s even more enjoyable than before because it’s God-given.


God knows me so well that He blessed me with a job that I never knew about its existence. Whenever I tell people that I’m working in the ERP field, they straightaway relate it to the gantry! LOL! Being fresh in the working society, God blessed me with good souls to lead me to where He wants me to be. I had the privilege of realizing my dream job in my first job. What are the odds? When I see many still searching for their career path, I am grateful to know that God has already planned it out for me. Those who doesn’t know see it as I am lucky, but they are totally wrong, I am blessed by God and everyone can enjoy such blessings too.


My heart’s desire is to serve Him and I always lament that if I could be in God’s house 5 days in a week and work for 2 days instead, how great will that be. Yes, dream on. Haha! I have been bargaining with God, 10 years is too long. But I shall trust His plan as He never fail to amaze me as a walk this path He has carved for me.


In my first job, God empowered me to perform in a job which I was totally clueless about and take it on purely based on my faith in Him. It was such a close shave that I didn’t choose a familiar industry and chose to take on the challenge to explore the unfamiliar field. When I signed the employment letter, I regretted immediately and was crying in Church, questioning about the decision. The job description was so foreign to me, I didn’t understand my role at all and was very doubtful on being able to fit into the role. First month was tough, but God helped me to pull through, and very soon, I was excelling in it and gained everyone’s confidence in my ERP support skills. At the end of 6 months, as I was doing the yearend review with my manager, I was amazed at how much God has empowered me. This is one of the testimony that I want to hold on dearly. It’s testifies how God can raise one up to the position He has planned. It wasn’t my will by Thy will was done! Most people whom I’d worked with though I was from an IT background, when they knew that my degree is in Mathematics and Economics, they couldn’t make head or tail on how I can be in this field. I agree with their view as my human intellect cannot understand how I can pick up this role as well. Praise the Lord!


Being young in this working society, I was really afraid to be out of this comfort zone. My first job was really comfortable as there was no stress, in the sense that the pace was good and there is no hardcore deadlines to meet as I hated deadlines. I was given the freedom to do whatever I wanted and this was one factor to my love for this job. But God showed me clear signs to leave, and with a heavy heart and much disappointment towards the company, I left to a new startup with a totally different culture. It was overwhelming to me and I thought seriously about leaving during the first week at work. From an office of barely 30 people, I entered a company with like 100 people and Singaporeans being the minority. From interacting with like around 5 people each day at work to having to talk to more than 10 people each day. Being an introvert and not the so sociable kind, it was really tough. First time being under a western manager, it was even tougher. But once again, God did it, I pulled through the first month of awkwardness and doubts about my capabilities. 


My current role is a great leap from my previous one. In my previous role, it was just a standard ERP and I mainly need to focus on functional support. I was attracted to my current role as it is a company which believes in technology and is using ERP in an unconventional way to me. The idea of integrating multiple interfaces to an ERP intrigued me and I really wanted to be part of this project to witness how it can be done.  I didn’t know how I managed to get this role and how I impressed most of the people who interviewed me though I didn’t have experience in integrating other interfaces into the ERP which I was supporting. I knew I impressed them with my familiarity in supporting ERP issues but I didn’t expect to be chosen as I’m not techy at all. I was tested on SQL skill and I honestly told the tech guys that I only knew simple query and usually use excel to further work on the data I extract, and yes, I did a vlookup to their SQL question instead on a join statement. LOL!!! After near to close to a month of waiting, I thought I didn’t get it. But I really wanted it so much, and I thank God for giving me this strong desire for this role that I was thick skin enough to text the HR to ask if they were still considering me. Haha! Indeed, they were and long story short, I got hired.


I knew that this was going to be a far greater challenge than my first job and my confidence level was really low during the first month. Like my first job, I didn’t see myself fitting into the role and it was worse now, I didn’t see myself adapting to the new environment at all. I prayed really hard and kept in mind that I was there to glorify His name. In this short 3 months, I self-declared myself as the internal Oracle expert and nobody denies it, at least not in the open. Lol! Yes, in just a short 3 months, God raised me up to this position that I thought was impossible for me. And He brought people to befriend me and I am adapting well here, better than my previous company. I am surprise! 


This role is still very challenging and I am being squeezed dry taking on the different roles. I would say that I’m a very worthy employee that they have hired as I am a multi-in-one worker – Functional support, integration point support, report writer, coordinator, etc. Yes, I am a one-man show now as my manager left. I have been working from 10am to 4am every single day since 1.5months in to this job, from preparing to launch this project, to now, the first month-end we’re going to have with this system. To be honest, I haven’t have time to quiet my heart to spend quality time with the Lord. Something which I miss very much. But every single day, I keep my random little prayers to Him and continue to praise Him. And He never failed to help me through all the obstacles I met in this project. Stupid mistakes I did, He empowered me to undo the mistake and revealed to me more knowledge on this system through it! How great is our God! He is so great!


All in all, I feel very blessed and every day, I have reason to praise Him! My job is my testimony of how God can make the impossible possible. My heart’s desire is for more to recognize Him, and this is even more so for my two brothers. My human intellect cannot imagine how it can be done, and I can only purely rely on God to make this possible. 


The things that God has blessed me at work, I concluded one day that I am favored by God. But following this conclusion, God spoke to me, that it is not favoritism, it is because I am His CHILD, His beloved CHILD that He give me these blessings! How loving our Heavenly Father is! I’m touched and I rejoice that I can the CHILD of GOD!

If anyone is to come by this blog and see this post, I pray for you to be encouraged, not by my words, but by what He has done for me. He is doing the same for you, not just today or tomorrow or 10 days later, He is blessing you every single day! I do not have a smooth sailing day every day, but praising the Lord enables me to pull through all the difficulties. God already know what we need in our lives. Prayer is a communication and building of relationship with Him. And to me, praising is acknowledging what He is going to bless us! In difficult times, Holy Spirit prompted me to praise, and He never fail to make me praise Him to the end! Being His CHILD is the greatest thing that happened in my life!


No comments: